Friday, January 22, 2016

Very Short Interview No. 1

           The entrepreneur I decided to interview was Fabiola Lema, the entrepreneur and owner of the successful restaurant known as "Macita's". This is known as "la cocina de la abuela" which is translated as grandma's kitchen offering the best of Colombian cuisine and baked goods. Macita's exhibits the entrepreneurial spirit by the way she opened her very own restaurant, after immigrating from Colombia to Miami.

Q: What does it mean to be an entrepreneur?
 
Fabiola: "What it means to be an entrepreneur is to consistently work on perfecting what you have to offer to an audience. It consists of taking care of a business as if it were your own baby. That being said, it is in fact a family business and like any entrepreneur, creating new jobs for people is ideal even if it's for family as well. Entrepreneurial spirit consists of looking beyond the here and now in order to see how far you can take your business. It requires perserverance, determination, and dedication."

Q: What do you think I should learn in an entrepreneurship course?

Fabiola: "What you should take from this course is to regularly think outside of the box and learn to identify a problem so that you can create a solution or innovative ways to attend to the needs of your audience. "

Q: What do you wish you had been taught in school before setting out on your own path as an entrepreneur? 
 
Fabiola: "I never went to school but I would've loved to learn more about business theory, however, if there is one thing that I would like to stress for anyone who is searching to be a successful entrepreneur is that you shouldn't let anything limit your desire to make something happen, especially not a degree."

Reflection:  What was very interesting to me about interviewing Fabiola was not only her entrepreneurial spirit but also her selflessness. Something I admire about the way she runs her business is that she offers job opportunities to family members and to people she feels are truly struggling. She's definitely both a business woman with a motherly touch. This is reflected by the way the restaurant is named "Macita" which is what her grandchildren would refer to her instead of saying "mamita" which comes from the word mother/ grandma. Another thing I noticed was how much love and passion she felt for her restaurant, so much so that to her its a sort of safe haven that she visits almost everyday. If there's something I learned from this interview is that entrepreneurs truly fall in love with their creation and are extremely passionate about moving it forward by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment