Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 2

1) You. Who you are. What your talents are. What your skills and experiences are. Also: what are your aspirations? Specifically regarding your business concept, how do you see this business (if you were to start it) playing a role in your life?
 
I am a sociology major hoping to be able to incorporate both forensics and fashion design into my professional life. I feel I'm a talented writer, dancer and I do think I have really good interpersonal skills that help when it comes to working on a team. My aspirations aside for the previously mentioned goal is to write a book and travel all over the world. Most of all, I just want to be the best person I can possibly be (as corny as that may sound) I find it very true when they say "don't just be a success, be of value" and that is definitely something I want to live by. 

I see business playing a role in these aspirations as helping me develop the comfort of taking risks and starting from nothing to something similar to any entrepreneurial journey. For this business specifically I see it playing a role in my life as it leads to is a realistic need and a good opportunity for further exploration. From my feedback, people felt as if what I was selling wasn't really explained and after reading my first idea napkin I couldn't agree more. I have decided to change my business even this far into ENT3003.

2) What are you offering to customers? Describe the product or service (in other words, how you'll solve customers' unmet needs). 
  

After my first Idea napkin I realized that my 5 elements didn't really tie in together. I felt as if what my business was about didn't really represent a single thing/issue that I was passionate about. I wanted to do something that would allow me to really explore more of my artistic side. I decided to change my business idea to a company that hires any and all certified makeup artists and connects them to groups that equally obsess over makeup but don't know how to do it. These groups here at UF would be those such as dance teams for performances and even sororities during formal seasons. I for example am planning on connecting with a sorority here at UF known as AOII in order to schedule times to do girls' makeup. It's hard for freelance makeup artists to get work done when there aren't a lot of groups here in Gainesville that need it. Due to that this networking company would connect a girl in need of a make over for a special occasion as easily as getting an uber. It's like an uber makeup artist.


3) Who are you offering it to? Describe, in as much detail as possible, the demographic and psychographic characteristics of your customers. Think especially of this question: what do your customers all have in common?

This will be offered for groups that need makeup for special occasions. From theater productions, sororities and dance teams to banquet halls. 

4) Why do they care? Your solution is only valuable insofar as customers believe its valuable to them. Here, explain why customers will actually pay you money to use your product or service. 

Girls will actually pay money for this service as it won't charge or require a purchase of makeup beforehand on top of the expense of the make up being done itself which come out to costing up to $60-80. This would be a charge of $15. It's easy, it's practical and it's exciting to have someone to do your makeup. Not only that, but for makeup artists that are trying to get their work out there, this networking opportunity also helps to build stronger portfolios.

5) What are your core competencies? What sets you apart from everyone else? Also: what do you have that nobody else has? 

What sets me apart from everyone is my easy adaptability as I am a third culture child who was raised living an overseas life moving from country to country since the age of 9. Another thing that sets me apart skill-wise is that I speak three languages. Lastly and more importantly, I'm really passionate about social harmony and constantly questioning epistemological roots of knowledge. As a sociology major and someone who cares deeply about the well-being of the individual (as much emotional, mental and physical) I care very much about helping others. 

In addition to this, I have experience with makeup art work. In 10th grade I did a makeup art project that got me invited to work backstage in LIMA fashion week in Lima, Peru. This skill puts me in a place where I feel I know about the world of makeup art and what I'm talking about. I'm promoting something that benefits both the under appreciated makeup artist and the girl looking for an amazing look on that special night. 

Evaluation:

 I do feel that my core competencies and these 5 elements tie well together. I feel really happy with the decision I made to change my business proposal to something entirely different and even on a whole other spectrum of interest. Most of all, I feel proud of my decision because I feel I did the one thing that all entrepreneurs have to learn about which is risk taking. The only thing I feel a little out-of-joint with the rest of my project is the fact that I'm a third culture child. I do think it's a strength regardless however I feel it wouldn't be something relevant to makeup. I then started to reflect and realized, well, if it's a networking company/service then being as diverse of an individual as I feel I am then that could really come in handy.

Feeback memo:

1. Giving a much clearer detailed description of my product.
I clearly defined my product and gave a description of it. I also took the risk of bringing up an entirely new business proposal in order to explore something I'm really passionate about.
 
2. Providing a background that prompted the creation of this product. 
I explained my connection to makeup art and gave a brief description of my experiences with it.
 
3. Creating a product that makes life easier for an overlooked audience/group of people. 
I have identified an audience that I feel isn't really thought of in a college town. 
 
4. Reflecting on my 5 elements. 
I have reflected of my 5 elements and how they tie together as well as emphasized how certain strengths will work good for specific skills.

5. Connect the product to the company and it's audience.
I have explicitly stated that this company will benefit both the makeup artists employed as well as the person requesting the service. One for portfolio building and the other for getting dolled up for a special occasion.
 
   

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cindy, I really enjoyed reading your idea napkin assignment and your idea seems quite interesting. I don’t know much about makeup but I do know for performances such as musicals and whatnot, a lot of people are in need for makeup artist for help so there’s a lot of potential customers with this idea. You should expand on this opportunity if you’re truly serious. Check out my post: http://jamalbrown4.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cindy,

    This was a great post as you highlighted exactly why customers would be attached to your product. It also seems like you incorporated feedback from the last post, which also demonstrates that you have a clearer vision for what type of product you're trying to sell.

    Leadingthechange.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete