Sunday, March 13, 2016

My Secret Sauce

1) Describe five ways in which you think you have human capital that is truly unique. What is it about you, exactly, that makes you different? Write this up in a detailed list. 

I think what makes me different and sets me apart is first the evident fact that I am a third culture child that has been raised on three different continents. I've been able to learn about diversity and acclimating to different cultures, three languages, traditions and more importantly personalities. I am extremely passionate about others and making everyone feel comfortable and like they have their own space to grow and more importantly make mistakes without being judged. As a sociology and psychology double major interpersonal skills and making everyone feel accepted and cared for is something I truly strive for. I love to connect with people on a deep level, I'm not the biggest fan of small talk or conversation that isn't genuine. I think that's due to the fact that I have moved so much so because I know my time with people is so limited, I like to get to really know people as well as connect in order to foment a comfort zone for myself as well as others. I'm very driven and extremely loyal to those I hold dear. I am welcoming, caring, a person that provides a comfort zone almost in a way where I'd hope a person could come to me as a coping mechanism and I love giving advice. 

2) Interview the five people who know you the best. Ask them what they think makes you different -- remember, focus on your knowledge, skills, abilities, emotions -- in other words, your human capital. Try to stay away from discussing your other types of capital (such as who you know). Record each interview. In your blog post, please post each interview, as well as a two-three sentence summary of each interview, explaining what your key takeaways are.

                                       1. Oscar's interview (brother)

2. Isa's interview (best friend) 

3. Marcela's interview thoughts 

4. Ivonne's interview (mom)



         The 5 people that know me best obviously includes my mother and my brother. If you guys have been following my blog then you'll see that I've mentioned that I'm a third culture child. I haven't lived in the US since I was 9 and graduated in Lima, Peru due to my dad's job overseas. Due to this, it was a lot harder to the videos from my family members other than my brother's who is a little more technologically savvy. In order to make up for those disadvantages I took a screenshot of what my mom and my cousin had to say in order to makeup for their lack of videos. 

3) Reflect on the differences. How do you see yourself, and how do others see you? Are there differences in how you assess yourself compared to others? What do you think causes these differences? Do you think your interviewees are correct about you? Finally, going back to your list from part 1, would you make any corrections to the list? How? 

Overall, I think I was beyond flattered by all the kind words of the people in my life. I think it was very validating to hear that people didn't talk about skill sets specific to education but rather to skills about how I interact with people and I rather be remembered for who I was to people rather than what I do or how well I do in school. I was so happy to see that the mark I've always wanted to leave on people about me was on a personal level rather than superficial qualities and it had to do with my persona. I think my interviewees are correct and I do agree with them. I wouldn't correct anything about my previous list. I am happy to feel validated and feel like I truly leave an impression that is indelibly impressed on their memories.

2 comments:

  1. I think it was a good idea to show screenshots of your texts as your interview! It showed what your family and friends said word for word without having to interview them. My mom was also one of the people who knew me best because we have always had a very close relationship. I think its awesome you've been raised in multiple places and definitely gives you an advantage over other people.

    you can check out my secret sauce post here - http://darby95.blogspot.com/2016/03/my-secret-sauce.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy,

    I love how long and thoughtful your interviews were, it really reflects the type of person you are. I think it's amazing that you've been raised on three continents, your adaptability and understanding must be out of this world (or country). I think loyalty to the people who treat you right is extremely important so it was cool to see that brought up about you. Check out my post at http://zanesufblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/my-secret-sauce.html

    ReplyDelete