Sunday, February 21, 2016

Free Money

Before:

Hey Everyone!

For this assignment I decided to go to Broward's basement where there is almost always an abundance of people working or hanging out. I expect the kind of people I will be approaching to be mostly students that will be busy on their phones or computers. To get the conversation started I will definitely greet the person and say something like "Hey there, how have you been today?" or just anything simple. I want to make sure to control for my interpersonal communication to be warm and welcoming in order for the person not to feel like I'm invading in on their personal space or even rudely interrupting. My plan for the rest of the conversation is to take an approach where I make my reason for giving the dollar to be because I simply wish to brighten their day (hence why I ask how it's been going so far). Out of 5 dollars, I really do think I'll be able to give all of them away because honestly, who wouldn't want free money?

Two Attempts: 







After:

Reflection- So after I did the assignment I will say something I noticed was that many times I noticed that my high energy in presenting the dollar to a person automatically made the person express an energy that was a lot more introverted than my own. I do feel that part of that reason was because I had a friend accompanying me to film the response therefore it made them feel intimidated or even possibly pranked. I understand that maybe they were a bit more shy or defensive because they felt like the point of what I was doing was to play a prank but also the simple fact that I'm kind of just walking in on their space could make a person feel a bit uncomfortable. Two of the 5 people I approached did shut me out despite my "warm" and "welcoming" introduction and approach towards them. Giving the dollar actually turned out to be a little harder than I thought just because people feel skeptical about my intentions but some people such as the second video above genuinely believed I meant well and kindly accepted the dollar. The only assumptions I made that were wrong are visible in the first video where I approached two girls that seemed like they would accept my dollar but they turned out to be the ones that shut me out the most (not taking it personal though). Overall it was quite the interesting experience!


3 comments:

  1. Cindy, getting rejected for attempting a random act of kindness can give a small blow to your self esteem because your smile should have warmed them right off the bat. I think the main issue was the recording of the attempt, most people are wary of cameras unless they are the one recording an event they are a participant. At least you were able to give three of the dollars away. Good job.

    Here is the link to my post if interested. http://sonjasevolution.blogspot.com/2016/02/free-money.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a good game plan for how you approached people. The only thing that I think you could of improved on would of been the conversation. You could of tried to better explain the reason for giving away a dollar. I did go up to people and just tried to give them a dollar without much of a conversation. This approach worked for me, but it was a bit more awkward. Afterwards, I changed my approach and began to add more of a conversation by better explaining the reason for giving them a dollar. Overall, this was a good strategy in my opinion, and I think you did a great job. If you would like to check out my blog, the link is below.

    http://luissoto93.blogspot.com/2016/02/free-money.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cindy,
    I was unable to complete this assignment myself so I can share my experience, however I have noticed other times in life if you approach a stranger with a lot of enthusiasm such as you did, they generally will go on the defensive. This effect is likely exaggerated because people simply do not expect some one to give away money.I am glad someone took you up on it though.

    Since I don't have a link for this assignment here is one to my second elevator pitch: http://llogsdonent3003.blogspot.com/2016/02/elevator-pitch-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete