1) What was the biggest surprise for
you in the reading? In other words, what did you read that stood out the
most as different from your expectations?
The most surprising thing for me was the concept of the importance of nondemographic segmentation over demographic information because it's a magnification of people's values and preferences over the traditional basic biographical info. The preference of analyzing this information was not enforced however until 1964 who emphasized nondemographic segmentation as a stronger predictor of markets. It also surprised me that even that type of information eventually was no longer as useful as it once was and is now used primarily for advertising. As a sociology/psychology double-major however, the thing that I appreciated he most and was very different from what I expected was the spin it took by incorporating psychology through "psychographic profiling".
2) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
One part that was partially confusing to me was the mention of psychographic types. I think had I fully understood it I would've been a lot more intrigued by it. I thought it was really cool that psychographic types existed at all I was just confused as to how each type interacted with the market as a predictor of purchase behavior.
3) If you were able to ask two questions to the author, what would you ask? Why?
I would ask the author to clarify about segmentation and their strengths and how some differ. I would ask to about how does one really identify a segmentation as something unique to a company and its identity versus which market is at it's optimum to invest in. I would also ask is there any kind of segmentation that combines both nondemographic and demographic info?
4) Was there anything you think the author was wrong about? Where do you disagree with what she or he said? How?
I do not disagree with anything the author said. I do wish the author would have gone in more depth about the gravity of decision and maybe incorporated it into how it could apply in other aspects of life and if so how?
No comments:
Post a Comment